Thursday, October 28, 2010

Holy Mother!

It is a well known fact that mothers in India can think of only two things; one is their children and second is how to feed their children. On top of it add the adjective of being a Punjabi mother and all she can think of is puttar, parathas and butter.

I remember when I was in Delhi staying in a hostel, my mother would call up and first thing she would ask would be “how is the food?”. And the same story for all the girls in the hostel. At times I would be so angry at her for asking the same old lame question. Furious I would be, but then whenever our dabba-wala brought food which seemed like someone had just thrown up in the Tiffin, I would miss my mother oh so much.

My mothers’ pains eased only when I moved in with relatives later and she was happy that there was someone to fuss over food for me (Oh mataji).

Now working in an MNC, my colleagues visit our office from all over the world. Whenever anyone orders aloo-paratha, I cannot stop myself from telling them “No one makes parathas like my mother”.

My son is two and a half years old and so far I have been a loving mother yet have tried my level best to make him feel independent, not been overly clingy or protective. However,recently I observed that my son is losing weight.
I complained to my husband, my mother, my son's nanny and finally visited the paediatrician complaining of his weight loss and poor appetite. The Doctor laughed and said that there was no problem with my son; that he was gaining height and nothing wrong with his appetite either, just that I had finally stepped into the holy corridors of motherhood :P.

1 comment: