Friday, October 29, 2010

Life Leveller

Recently I attended a seminar organised by the Ministry of Textiles to promote entrepreneurship in women. It was quite a gala event and the Chairperson was the Daughter in Law (DIL) of the Textile Baron of Mumbai.

The moment she entered, a collective sigh was heard from all the participants. Dressed immaculately and loaded with diamonds from head to toe, the DIL wowed the crowd. The moment she started addressing the audience, the dazzle dimmed a little, however no matter how ill prepared she was or how ill informed about the occasion ( DIL seemed to have confused the event with one of her charity luncheons) , her diamonds still managed to engage and enthral the entire audience.

The seminar was not as lustrous as the diamonds earlier described and after a lot of boring sessions followed by super-boring ones, it finally came to an end. There was a huge rush to meet and greet the DIL and in that rush someone stepped on my sandals and one of the stings broke.

I was so furious and started cursing everyone and life in general. Here I was standing with a broken sandal while the DIL was being shipped out in a Mercedes Benz. To deal with the situation at hand, I put a safety pin on my sandal and dragged my tiny feet to a shoe shop where I bought sandals decent enough to carry me home. However it struck me as totally unfair that just because the DIL was born to a Baron and married to another Baron, she gets everything as a birthright, whereas I who had been slogging so hard, when was I ever going to get my due.

Almost a week later during a cleaning spree, I took out the broken sandals from my bag and was throwing them in the garbage when my maid saw them and asked if she could take them away. Of course I told her. And then sharing my misery I told her how bad I felt that my sandals broke and I had to walk a mile in broken sandals to buy a new pair.
She looked at me and exclaimed “your sandals broke and instead of getting them repaired, you bought new ones, how fortunate you are!”

At that moment it hit me that what I complained of about the DIL’s birthright, this maid was thinking the same about me. Compared to her life, I am living life King Size.
Life draws levels in strange ways.

2 comments:

  1. जिंदगी हमें रोज ही कुछ सिखा जाती है पर हम में से बहुत कम लोग सीख पातें हैं और उस सीख को याद रख पातें हैं .अच्छा है तुम्हें जल्दी समझ आ गया .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each time life tries to teach me this, i'm too angry, too frustrated, too distressed, too dejected, or too unhappy to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete